By: Carolyn Starkey
A quiet out-of-the-way 5th floor room in McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago.
Friday afternoon, June 28th, sandwiched in between preconference workshops and committee meetings, shortly before the official 2013 ALA Conference and Exhibition Opening Session.
THE CAST OF CHARACTERS:
A small group of K-12 school librarians and university professors dedicated to the ideal that AASL specialized professional association (SPA) review in conjunction with NCATE/CAEP accreditation of university school library programs ensures a healthy, well-trained school library profession.
THE PURPOSE OF MEETING:
Provision of the semi-annual AASL/NCATE/CAEP Reviewer Training, led by Dr. Mary Berry (who insists that she is retired but that no one is paying attention) and Elizabeth Vilky, Director of Program Review at NCATE/CAEP.
Reviewers qualified to judge the overall effectiveness of school library programs in meeting the standards specified in theÂ ALA/AASL Standards for Initial Preparation of School Librarians.
LONG RANGING EFFECT ON PROFESSION:
School libraries staffed by qualified librarians, trained to meet the high standards of ALA/AASL.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A REVIEWER? QUALIFICATIONS
All reviewers must:
- Be current members of AASL;
- Have a current, demonstrated body of knowledge, expertise, and experience in the field of school librarianship;
- Have a documented level of technical literacy and have access to technology that will support the online review process;
- Have an endorsement or degree in school library media, library science or relevant field.
Potential reviewers must:
- Submit an application form and current resume or curriculum vitae to the Office for Accreditation;
- Participate in a training session;
- Be approved by the NCATE/CAEP Coordinating Committee before being added to the NCATE/CAEP roster of reviewers.
Additional information for reviewers or persons interested in becoming a review can be found on the AASL/NCATE/CAEP Training Opportunities page.
WHICH PROGRAMS ARE NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED?