2013 AASL Awards Luncheon Recap July 2, 2013Posted by Jane Lofton in Check this out!.
At AASL’s Annual Awards Luncheon on Monday, July 1, we were treated to both an inspiring line-up of award winners and an engaging speech by writer and illustrator Jarrett J. Krosoczka.
Krosoczka, whose work includes the Children’s Choice Award-winningÂ Lunch LadyÂ graphic novel series, theÂ Punk FarmÂ picture book series, and many more,Â shared how he getsÂ to live out his childhood dream and that he can have this career because of librarians. He recounted how, when he was young and into reading and creating comic books, that genre wasn’t considered legitimate; he appreciates how we support comics as a genre for students. He commended us forÂ how much passion we put into our work, andÂ how weÂ are creating amazing space for kids to learn and create and be awesome. He shared how he also visits schools that don’t have librarians, and how sad an experience that is.
I noted that Krosoczka is also scheduled as one of the speakers at the Author Breakfast on November 17 during the AASL Conference in Hartford. If you missed him at the Awards Lunch, don’t miss this other chance to hear him!
Outgoing President Susan Ballard opened the luncheon session by urging each of us to make a goal to apply for at least one award for next year. That, of course, applies to everyone reading this, not just the luncheon attendees! For information about awards to apply for, visitÂ this link.
From that page, you can also click the links for each award read about all of these worthy winners we honored on Monday. Congratulations to these award recipients:
- Frances Henne Award sponsored by ABC-CLIO:Â Amy Jo Southworth, Bay Shore High School, Sayville, NY
- ABC-CLIO Leadership Grant sponsored by ABC-CLIO:Â North Carolina School Library Media Association
- Distinguished School Administrators Award sponsored by ProQuest:Â Scott Bacon, Blue Valley High School, Stilwell, KS
- Collaborative School Library Award sponsored by Upstart:Â Jean Hellwege, Kim Ridder, Debbie Beran, and Eric Nelson, Scott Middle School-Lincoln Public Schools, Lincoln, NE
- Innovative Reading Grant sponsored by Capstone: Panagiotis Stathopoulos, The de Paul School, Louisville, KY
- Information Technology Pathfinder Award sponsored by Follett: Joseph Landor, Germanshire Elementary School, Memphis, TN and Judy Russell, Saydel CSD, Des Moines, IA
- Intellectual Freedom Award sponsored by ProQuest: Rosalind Dennis, DeKalb County School District, Stone Mountain, Georgia
- AASL Research Grant sponsored by Capstone: Judi Moreillon and Teresa Starrett, Texas Woman’s University, Denton, TX and Linda Robinson, Mansfield Public School District, Storrs, CT
- Distinguished Service Award sponsored by Baker & Taylor: Keith Curry Lance, RSL Research Group, Westminster, CO
- National School Library Program of the Year Award sponsored by Follett: Pennsylvania Avenue School, Atlantic City, NJ; New Augusta South Elementary School, Indianapolis, IN; and Swan Valley High School, Saginaw, MI
- In addition, Dollar General was recognized in the program with the AASL President’s Crystal Apple Award presented during the President’s Session on Friday.